ntlm_auth and AD authentication

freeradius at corwyn.net freeradius at corwyn.net
Mon Nov 23 16:24:58 CET 2009

freeradius2-2.1.7-2.el5
freeradius2-utils-2.1.7-2.el5
freeradius2-libs-2.1.7-2.el5
CentOS 5.2

I'm trying to get freeradius to authenticate with an AD server, using
the instructions at
http://deployingradius.com/documents/configuration/active_directory.html

The initial confirmation of communication with AD is working. The
instructions then say to try:
ntlm_auth --request-nt-key --domain=MYDOMAIN --username=user
--password=password

to confirm, and it looks like it's working. However, the instructions
also indicate you should also see the NT_KEY output, which is needed
in order for FreeRADIUS to perform MS-CHAP authentication.

However, whether I use
ntlm_auth --request-nt-key --domain=MYDOMAIN --username=user
--password=password
or
ntlm_auth --domain=MYDOMAIN --username=user --password=password

the output/response looks the same:
NT_STATUS_OK: Success (0x0)

which leads me to believe  that the nt-key isn't being provided? What
is the nt-key supposed to look like? If it's not showing up
correctly, any ideas why?

thanks

Rick

Rick Steeves
http://www.sinister.net

In reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within
a man than a secure future -  Alexander Supertramp