Free Radius accounting and duplicate session entries in radacct with different output/input octets

Ade Slade adeslade at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 15:55:30 CET 2009

Hey,

Firstly, is the accounting part of FreeRadius used by major organisations?
Due to the possibility and indeed occurrence of duplicate sessions appearing
in the radacct table and other issues I've found, it doesn't seem to be all
that robust a solution. I realise freeradius is just reporting what it is
sent from the NAS and so is not to blame.

Secondly, I've experienced duplicate accounting sessions appearing which
report different input/output octets. Over the set of the data, it has
happened infrequently but it is undesirable. Comparing the data inserted
into the radacct table and the logs, one (or more) of the duplicate sessions
will reflect the logs and one of the duplicates will show completely
different input/output octets. It's worth noting that these duplicate
sessions share the same AcctSessionTime, AcctSessionId, AcctUniqueId and
UserName. Any ideas on what the cause of this could be?