Unexpected "Exiting normally" 2.1.8?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Nov 25 21:26:05 CET 2009

I am now seeing this very same problem, and strongly suspect it to be
related to dead proxy home servers.  I was able to provoke the "Exiting
normally" on a server with *no* traffic at all, by doing a couple of
requests for a realm with dead home servers and then waiting:

 Wed Nov 25 18:03:56 2009 : Error: PROXY: Marking home server 88.a.b.158 port 1812 as zombie (it looks like it is dead).
 Wed Nov 25 18:04:35 2009 : Error: PROXY: Marking home server 84.c.d.222 port 1812 as zombie (it looks like it is dead).
 Wed Nov 25 19:38:13 2009 : Info: Exiting normally.

No requests at all were sent to this server between the two last log
lines.  This server is running the latest stable git, i.e. up to
 commit 2df19cf0024fd23d2906c13c0b01067076540871

I was planning to use the 2.1.7 release, but hit the recursive mutex
problem.  Now, adding the two facts, I'm starting to wonder whether the
"Exiting normally" bug might be related to the fix for the recursive
mutexes?  They are both related to dead home servers.  Makes me
suspicious...

And I'm wondering what my other options are wrt the mutex problem.  I am
pretty much stuch with RHEL on these servers (not my choice).  Is this a
glibc 2.5 problem?  Should I demand an upgrade to a more modern OS?

Bjørn