Unexpected "Exiting normally" 2.1.8?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Nov 26 08:05:29 CET 2009

Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> writes:
> Bjørn Mork wrote:
>> I am now seeing this very same problem, and strongly suspect it to be
>> related to dead proxy home servers.  I was able to provoke the "Exiting
>> normally" on a server with *no* traffic at all, by doing a couple of
>> requests for a realm with dead home servers and then waiting:
>>
>>  Wed Nov 25 18:03:56 2009 : Error: PROXY: Marking home server 88.a.b.158 port 1812 as zombie (it looks like it is dead).
>>  Wed Nov 25 18:04:35 2009 : Error: PROXY: Marking home server 84.c.d.222 port 1812 as zombie (it looks like it is dead).
>>  Wed Nov 25 19:38:13 2009 : Info: Exiting normally.
>>
>> No requests at all were sent to this server between the two last log
>> lines.
>
>   Hmm... the "exiting normally" means that it received a signal to exit
> (internal or external).  Otherwise, it just keeps running.
>
>   Try using gdb, and:
>
> (gdb) break event_loop_exit
> (gdb) break radius_signal_self
> (gdb) cond 1 (flag == 2)
>
> (gdb) run
>
>   And then when it stops:
>
> (gdb) thread apply all bt full
>
>   That *should* catch the stack trace where it exits.

Will do.  Thanks

>> I was planning to use the 2.1.7 release, but hit the recursive mutex
>> problem.
>
>   Ugh.  Some systems don't support recursive mutexes, and even better,
> don't complain when you try to use them!
>
>>  Now, adding the two facts, I'm starting to wonder whether the
>> "Exiting normally" bug might be related to the fix for the recursive
>> mutexes?  They are both related to dead home servers.  Makes me
>> suspicious...
>
>   Quite possibly, yes.  But the fact that it exits a minute and a half
> after the last packet is odd.

Note that it's an hour and a half.  Which I guess is even more odd.

This is todays events for the server which is in production:

 server ~ 1004$ grep Exit log/radius.log
 Thu Nov 26 02:08:20 2009 : Info: Exiting normally.
 Thu Nov 26 04:16:52 2009 : Info: Exiting normally.
 Thu Nov 26 05:52:20 2009 : Info: Exiting normally.
 Thu Nov 26 07:40:19 2009 : Info: Exiting normally.

Notice the pattern.  There's 1.5 ~ 2 hours between each restart.

Bjørn