home server debugging issues

Josip Rodin joy at entuzijast.net
Fri Nov 27 12:06:05 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 11:30:02AM +0100, Alan DeKok wrote:
> > Now, when a request comes through that gets discarded by the first proxy
> > (because it itself times out on a random HL RADIUS), that one gets marked as
> > a zombie. Strangely enough, my server keeps it marked as a zombie even after
> > several minutes (long past any of the zombie_period and revive_interval
> > periods I've kept in the configuration). My server keeps talking only with
> > the second server which is in the 'alive' state, and ignores the zombie.
>
>   Hmm... the "zombie_period" timers depend on continued packet streams.
>  If the NAS doesn't re-transmit packets, then it could stay zombie for a
> while.  I'll have to take a look at that.
>
> > After re-reading proxy.conf comments, this actually looks logical - there is
> > no kind of a status check that would unmark it as a zombie. revive_interval
> > can resurrect it from the 'dead' state, but not from the zombie state.

After another set of events, that first server finally got marked as dead.
Then, exactly as described and when specified, revive_interval kicked in
and marked it alive.

So I'm guessing I just need to either have revive_interval deal with zombies
as well as dead servers, or another variable that would do that.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.