Freeradius start at boot

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu Oct 1 17:16:13 CEST 2009

On 10/01/2009 11:03 AM, Ivan Kalik wrote:
>> radiusd is already running on that port. When checking /etc/rc.d/rc3.d I
>> found a file named "S88radiusd".
>
> Cistron radius?
>
> No, most radius servers use same ports. You are starting cistron first, so
> freeradius fails to start after it. Either remove cistron or change
> listening ports in freeradius radiusd.conf.

No, S88radiusd is not Cistron. It's the link created by chkconfig to
start radiusd at boot time. rc3.d comprises service commands for run
level 3, the S prefix means it's a "Start" command, the 88 is an
ordering number, things lower than 88 start before radiusd, thing higher
than 88 start after radiusd. (BTW, this basic logic is being replaced by
other mechanisms defined by LSB which allow greater control over
prequisites, e.g. MySQL has to be up and running first, etc).

But ... this is really not a FreeRADIUS issue, it's an OS and system
administration issue.

I think we've beat this one to death enough :-)

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/