Understansding

jon jon free9360 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 22:11:12 CEST 2009

Hello,
I have a access point that is connected to a chillispot server, which then
communicates to an external freeradius server. I have a mysql server also on
the freeradius server. I am just tyring to figure out how this is all
working. When a wireless client comes in they are unauthencticated users,
which will be redirectedto uam homepage, located on the external radius
server. The user is then brought to the hotspotlogin.cgi. Then the username
and password are sent over to the radius server to check to see if the user
matches the user in the mysql database. If authenticated, then the radius
server sends a packet back to chillispot, saying yes accept the user, and
redirect them to a web page that I specify. (is that correct?) Does the user
remain connected to the freeradius server, since the pop up window that
comes up is from there anyway, or is it chillispot that is then taking over.
Which server is actually allowing the user onto the internet? I am thinking
it is chillispot since that is handling dhcp. In the database is a table
that is used to allow open and close time, that the wireless is avaible
everyday, wouldn't that mean that the user would have to remain connected to
the freeradius server?
thanks,
jon jon