Understansding

Ivan Kalik tnt at kalik.net
Fri Oct 2 23:25:31 CEST 2009

> I have a access point that is connected to a chillispot server, which then
> communicates to an external freeradius server. I have a mysql server also
> on
> the freeradius server. I am just tyring to figure out how this is all
> working. When a wireless client comes in they are unauthencticated users,
> which will be redirectedto uam homepage, located on the external radius
> server. The user is then brought to the hotspotlogin.cgi. Then the
> username
> and password are sent over to the radius server to check to see if the
> user
> matches the user in the mysql database. If authenticated, then the radius
> server sends a packet back to chillispot, saying yes accept the user, and
> redirect them to a web page that I specify. (is that correct?)

That is correct.

> Does the
> user
> remain connected to the freeradius server,

No, user never connects to radius server.

> since the pop up window that
> comes up is from there anyway,

Pop-up window is a part of ChilliSpot.

 or is it chillispot that is then taking
> over.
> Which server is actually allowing the user onto the internet? I am
> thinking
> it is chillispot since that is handling dhcp.

Yes. Radius is just a service ChilliSpot uses (it's optional).

> In the database is a table
> that is used to allow open and close time, that the wireless is avaible
> everyday, wouldn't that mean that the user would have to remain connected
> the freeradius server?

Again - no, user is *never* connected to radius server. That table
probably composes Login-Time attribute so that logintime module can
calculate Sesion-Time if user is allowed to connect. But you should ask
ChilliSpot people how it works.

Ivan Kalik
Kalik Informatika ISP