Error: Received conflicting packet

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Oct 12 10:35:54 CEST 2009

Hi,

> Our radius-server timeout is high enough: 4 minutes. Once again: I
> suppose that what freeradius thinks of as "Received conflicting packet
> ..." are rather a bit delayed packets normally treated as "Discarding
> conflicting packet ...", i.e. they arrive at freeradius in maybe 1.01+
> second after the first request, but freeradius drops the current request
> instead of the new one. Soon I'm gonna rebuild freeradius with changed
> tv_sec and check that.

huh? do you not understand the basic context of this issue?  if the NAS
has sent a repeat RADIUS packet then it means that the original packet
has already been timed out and the NAS should NOT accept an 'accept' response
on that original packet. your RADIUS timeout is 4 minutes??? the highest
sorts of values that you should ever expect a RADIUS request to be 'on the wire'
is around 12 seconds - and thats for proxied packets that have travelled
around the world.

what OS are you running on that Dell? The only thing I can think of is
one of the dodgy RedHat buggy releases where there was a MASSIVE Perl
startup penalty - thats been fixed in all recent distros (unless
its come back again). we have single and dual core Dell system (manufacturer
really doesnt matter - we're still talking about basic PC hardware - that can do
several thousand auths per second...and thats with Perl involved too.

i wonder if you are killing your RADIUS via some others task - eg its the
accounting thats blocking the threads because you are accounting to eg SQL
rather than to disk and using buffered-sql (very very common issue)

alan