Info: rlm_sql (sql): There are no DB handles to use! skipped 0, tried to connect 0

Gianni Olivieri gianni.olivieri at sicetelecom.it
Mon Oct 12 10:53:44 CEST 2009

Hi to all,

   I've installad freeradius on a Debian box with Mysql DB.
After the upgrade from freeradius version 1.7 and freeradius 2.x I
notice that sometimes, but everyday, the freeradius doesn't respond. I
must do a /etc/init.d/freeradius restart

In my log:
Mon Oct 12 10:24:45 2009 : Info: rlm_sql (sql): There are no DB handles
to use! skipped 0, tried to connect 0

The only modification that I have made to conf is:

with Freeradius 1.7
radius:/etc/freeradius# cat ../freeradius.orig/acct_users
DEFAULT         Acct-Status-Type == "Start"
                Exec-Program = "/etc/freeradius/SCRIPT/userlogin.py
%{User-Name}"
DEFAULT         Acct-Status-Type == "Stop"
                Exec-Program = "/etc/freeradius/SCRIPT/userlogout.py
%{User-Name"

on Freeradius 2.x I've modified the accounting conf file:

#
#  Accounting.  Log the accounting data
#
accounting {
               if (Acct-Status-Type == Start) {
                       update reply {
                             Tmp-String-0 =
"%{exec:/etc/freeradius/SCRIPT/userlogin.py %{User-Name}}"
                if (Acct-Status-Type == Stop) {
                        update reply {
                             Tmp-String-0 =
"%{exec:/etc/freeradius/SCRIPT/userlogout.py %{User-Name}}"

I need to launch a script with after login and logout.

Maybe this script cause some problems? It's a simple python script that
update a field in db (online/offiline flag).
Can I substitute this external script with a query inside freeradius?
How can I create a custom (new) query and lunch it from the accounting
section?

#
#  Accounting.  Log the accounting data
#
accounting {
               if (Acct-Status-Type == Start) {
                       update reply {
                             LAUNCH MYQUERY HERE FOR A SPECIFIC
USER
                if (Acct-Status-Type == Stop) {
                        update reply {
                            LAUNCH MYQUERY HERE FOR A SPECIFIC USER

OR... may the problem is some slow query... but... how can I debug this?
can someone suggest me a method?

Best regards.

--
Gianni Olivieri