over 30 radiusd processes

Craig Campbell craig at ccraft.ca
Wed Oct 14 13:30:08 CEST 2009

Nothing in the log except the normal startup.

This server is only receiving accounting records currently.

While the ps command doesn't show the time of these extra processes (over 24
hours old), in a previous event, I determined they seemed to coincide with a
significant increase in radius traffic (from ~100/min to over 1000/min)  I
believe the NAS forces all users to log off (and they automatically log back
in) in the middle of the night, and I suspect this is related.

Also, the system provided is a Virtual Machine, which normally seems to have
plenty of resources available.  The mysql database is local to the same
system, and is only used to keep accounting records of currently logged in
users (radutmp replacement - a cron job flushed out completed records to
prevent database growth).

Alan suggested this might be related to shell scripts being run - as happens
when acct STOP records are received.

I'm trying to come up with a strategy to narrow down what might be
happening.

Under what circumstances does radiusd fork?  Also, I THOUGH I'd heard
somewhere that threads and fork did NOT interact well.

I am also considering upgrading to 2.1.7 (but I just finished configuring
2.1.6 :(  2.1.7 wasn't released when I started this..)

Thoughts?

Thanks (everyone),
-craig