Failed to bind to proxy address (port 1815)

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Wed Oct 14 14:38:10 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm facing a rather annoying and mysterious issue here right now (FR 2.1.7)

Wed Oct 14 14:20:05 2009 : Error: Failed binding to proxy address * port
1815: Address already in use
Wed Oct 14 14:22:50 2009 : Error: Failed binding to proxy address * port
1815: Address already in use
Wed Oct 14 14:24:33 2009 : Error: Failed binding to proxy address * port
1815: Address already in use
Wed Oct 14 14:25:27 2009 : Error: Failed binding to proxy address * port
1815: Address already in use

Kept coming up multiple times per second half an hour ago, and now
sporadically (see timestamps above). netstat -tunelup shows that FR
bind'ed itself to *:1815 (but still the messages kept coming). Seems
like it tried to re-open its own port over and over again.

Restarting fixed it, at least momentarily (and it left port 1815 alone
after the restart). But I do wonder what this error message means. The
instance's dedicated proxy port is 1814. Could the error message mean
that it exceeded its 256 packets-in-flight, overflowed to the next
source port, and got bind to the source port wrong? About the only thing
I can imagine.

The error remained undetected for some time - the affected requests got
an unjustified reject, that was the only trace that got me looking into it.

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Greetings,

Stefan

--
Stefan WINTER