EAP session matching the State variable

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Oct 15 11:26:53 CEST 2009

marco perugini wrote:
> hi list, i use freeradius [v 2.1.1] in wimax context and from yesterday
> this message is driving me crazy: "EAP session matching the State variable".

  That's "NO eap session matching..."

> here's the use-case: i do auth and connection all right but if/when i lost my
> connection and i try to reconnect that massage shows me up in radius' debug;

  Then your supplicant and/or access point is broken.  If the supplicant
loses association with the AP, then EAP *must* be re-started from
scratch.  Re-using State attributes from previous EAP sessions will
cause authentication to fail on *every* single RADIUS server that exists.

> in about 20 min i succeed in reconnecting. i thought radius was stateless..

  No.  EAP requires state.  The AP maintains state for EAP sessions.

> do you know if there is some config changes to do to avoid this trouble?

  Fix the AP so that it doesn't re-use old State attributes.