over 30 radiusd processes - more information

Ivan Kalik tnt at kalik.net
Sun Oct 18 17:38:44 CEST 2009

> I think you may be 'jumping the gun' a wee bit.
>
> The system currently has over 13,000 active sessions.
>
> There were some odd accounting packets, but the vast majority were valid.
> These could be configuration errors or hack attempts (investigating).

Something broke at 2am. Before that you had a single malformed packet but
after 2am there were dozens.

> Questions:
>
> 1) Could bad accounting packets cause the radiusd process to EXIT?

I don't think so, but I can't answer why did that happen.

> 2) Could bad accounting packets result in hung child processes (as seen in
> the gdb output after the radius log file)?

You should look into the detail file and see what is wrong with the
packets that were stuck (or did the queries fail for some reason), like:

WARNING: Unresponsive child for request 165616, in module sql component
accounting
etc.

Ivan Kalik
Kalik Informatika ISP