EAP (RFC- 3579) under GPL with FreeRadius1.1.8?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Oct 20 15:14:04 CEST 2009

Divyank Rastogi wrote:
> I was going through FreeRadius1.1.8 code when i saw that unlike the SRC
> code which is LGPL, EAP code is under GPL.

  You need to read the licenses to the source code you are using.  In
this case, you haven't read them carefully enough.

  The src/lib directory is LGPL.  EVERYTHING ELSE is GPL.

> As per my understanding LGPL (and not GPL) is applicable to be freely
> distributes as statically linked libraries

  Not really, no.  You need to provide the ability to re-link programs
if you use an LGPL version.  This usually means:

	a) distributing a dynamically linked version

	b) distributed a statically linked version, along with the
	   ".o" files for all of your proprietary source code.

> I am planning to use the source code in the lib folder as well as that
> in the module folder (for supporting rfc-3579) in FreeRadius. Are there
> going to be issues in statically linking this code?

  Yes.  You will be violating the GPL license.  This is, without
question, wrong.

> If so, can anyone please help out with ideas on how to circumvent the
> issue (including other (licensed) vendor recommendations as well).

  Go pay money for a proprietary EAP implementation, *or* find a BSD
licensed one.