Proxying requests with source port 1815?

Palmer J.D.F. J.D.F.Palmer at swansea.ac.uk
Tue Oct 27 14:05:43 CET 2009

Hi,

Just experienced a bit of strange behaviour, or at least seems strange
to me.

One of our FR 2.1.7 boxes has been proxying access-requests with a
source port of 1815, to which the authenticating server has replied to
with an access-accept on port 1815, only there is no listener for port
1815 running on the box and hence fails.
This was happening to ~50% of requests, but once one failed the FR box
was marking the authenticator dead.
It started yesterday following a FR restart for a small config change
(added a client to client.conf), I restarted it about an hour ago and it
seems to be behaving now.

Is that as odd as it seems, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Jezz.

Jezz Palmer
Library & Information Services