Using realms without proxying

James Wu james at connection.ca
Thu Sep 3 22:27:54 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm using freeradius-2.1.4 with MySQL and would like to set up realms
without proxying. The reason is that I'd like to keep all the requests
to a single Radius server, however would like to separate the users'
radreplies based on their username/groups. I know that I can use
groupnames to have group based policies but I would like to have the
groupname as part of the login name, hence the realms.

The main reason for wanting to set up realms is so that I can have a
username with username at groupname format and use the variables %{Realm}
and %{Stripped-User-Name}. When I do set up realms, it seems that I have
to proxy. Is there another way of accomplishing this?

James