FreeRADIUS proxy - Is Proxy-State (AVP 33) mandatory in the Acct Response?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Sep 4 20:39:59 CEST 2009

Cristina Miyata wrote:
> I realized that this host doesn't responds the accounting request with the Proxy-State (AVP 33). I checked the RFC2865 and it seems that it is mandatory the remote server responds the accounting response with the Proxy-State (AVP 33).

  While the attribute is mandatory, FreeRADIUS doesn't use it for anything.

> My questions are:
>
> 1) Is FreeRADIUS really correlating the accounting requests/response correctly for this remote host that doesn't add the AVP 33 in the response for a proxied request?

  Yes.

> 2) What is the expected behavior of the FreeRADIUS and effects in the described situation (proxied requests being responded with no Proxy-State attribute).

  It will work.

  FreeRADIUS will work if it

  (a) proxies a request containing Proxy-State
  (b) receives a valid response (src/dst ip/port, etc.) with no Proxy-State.

  In your case, the home server is being marked dead because it isn't
responding.  Nothing else will cause it to me marked dead.