[RE]FreeRADIUS proxy - Is Proxy-State (AVP 33) mandatory in the Acct Response?

Cristina Miyata cmiyata at lycos.com
Fri Sep 4 23:43:49 CEST 2009

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------

Thanks Alan for your answers!

I still have more questions:

1) If FreeRADIUS doesn't use Proxy-State for nothing, how it matches the requests with responses? Using only the Packet Identifier (AVP 92)?

2) Since it is Packet Identifier has only 1 byte (0-254), it can only handle 255 requests (received by NAS and sent to remote hosts via Proxy) at a time? Or only handle 255 requests per NAS or remote host?

Thanks for your attention!

Cristina Miyata
Cristina Miyata wrote:
> I realized that this host doesn't responds the accounting request with the Proxy-State (AVP 33). I checked the RFC2865 and it seems that it is mandatory the remote server responds the accounting response with the Proxy-State (AVP 33).

 While the attribute is mandatory, FreeRADIUS doesn't use it for anything.

> My questions are:
>
> 1) Is FreeRADIUS really correlating the accounting requests/response correctly for this remote host that doesn't add the AVP 33 in the response for a proxied request?

 Yes.

> 2) What is the expected behavior of the FreeRADIUS and effects in the described situation (proxied requests being responded with no Proxy-State attribute).

 It will work.

 FreeRADIUS will work if it

 (a) proxies a request containing Proxy-State
 (b) receives a valid response (src/dst ip/port, etc.) with no Proxy-State.

 In your case, the home server is being marked dead because it isn't
responding. Nothing else will cause it to me marked dead!
 .

I have one FreeRADIUS server proxying accounting RADIUS to two different hosts. One of the remote hosts is receiving the requests and answering the responses, but processing the details file very slowly (keeps being marked as dead all the time).

I realized that this host doesn't responds the accounting request with the Proxy-State (AVP 33). I checked the RFC2865 and it seems that it is mandatory the remote server responds the accounting response with the Proxy-State (AVP 33).

My questions are:

1) Is FreeRADIUS really correlating the accounting requests/response correctly for this remote host that doesn't add the AVP 33 in the response for a proxied request?

2) What is the expected behavior of the FreeRADIUS and effects in the described situation (proxied requests being responded with no Proxy-State attribute).

Appreciate any help and Thanks in advance!

Cristina Miyata