intel Proset/wireless -> OK // windows zero config -> KO

Jaulin Bernard Bernard.Jaulin at ilem.ch
Mon Sep 7 23:12:00 CEST 2009

Hi Norman,

My Windows clients run XP SP3 ! And no problems with WEP/WPA + TKIP on
this laptops.

But, thanks for your help.

Bernard.

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 22:59:49 +1000
From: "Norman Goh" <normangoh at exemail.com.au>
Subject: RE: intel Proset/wireless -> OK // windows zero config
	wireless -> KO
To: "'FreeRadius users mailing list'"
	<freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org>

Hi Bernard,

Based upon the provided information I would believe that this would be a
driver problem, but without knowing what you have tried, your actual
Intel
Hardware and a proper wireless capture this is the best I can offer. To
me
if the Intel and Thinkpad wireless apps work with your current setup and
is
stable then the problem does not appear to be with Radius at all.

If you are using XP with Service Pack 2 then you need the following two
patches for WPA2 comms.

WindowsXP-KB893357-v2-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB917021-v3-x86-ENU.exe

These two provide extra code for the WPA2 Enterprise authentication
methods
you are using so that the Windows Zero config wireless can work
properly.
Service Pack 3 for XP is supposed to have these two patches but I would
add
them in anyway.

For Linux, again this is a driver/module issue and you need to ensure
that
you have a couple of things running first before you attempt to connect
the AP, modules such as the wpa_supplicant and wpa_supplicant-gui (if
you
are using a desktop interface) are necessary, and the ieee80211 module
if it
is required. It also depends on your Intel Hardware and Firmware code
that
you have installed. I am assuming that you have Intel chipsets here and
not
Atheros chipsets, there is a big difference.

This website will point you in the right direction even though the
information maybe out of date by a couple of years, it may highlight a
bug
in your configuration files especially in linux.

http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/index.php

You may already have tried the following suggestion ? work your way up
from
the lowest security wireless comms to the highest, (Ad-Hoc with no key,
WEP,
WPA-PSK, WPA-TKIP, WPA2-PSK, WPA2-TKIP, WPA2-EAP\TLS) to try an pin
point
the issue and confirm that the wireless works, at least for the less
secure
comms.

The XP Sp2 without the patches will work up until WPA-PSK but due to the
cryptography changes in WPA2 it won?t work without the patches. The
Intel
Proset and Thinkvantage tools would already have this extra code written
in.

If you are running a FAT Cisco AP and not the LWAP version, you can
configure multiple profiles on the same gear so you can try the above
without messing up your working wireless comms. Else you have to do the
profiles in the WLAN controller software.

Cheers

Norman