freeradius + monit

nf-vale nf-vale at critical-links.com
Tue Sep 8 13:08:47 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 08 September 2009 11:00:35 Sokvantha Youk wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am new to Freeradius server. I wish to get it restart automatically when
> its process is hang by using monit. I have no idea how to get monit restart
> freeradius server automatically.
>
> Please kindly advice me.
>
> ---
> Best Regards,
> sokvantha

Install monit, create a file in /etc/monit.d/ directory like
"/etc/monit.d/freeradius" and add something like the following to that file:

"
check process freeradius with pidfile "/var/run/freeradius/radiusd.pid"
	start = "/etc/init.d/freeradius start"
	stop = "/etc/init.d/freeradius stop"

	if failed host 192.168.1.1 port 1812 type UDP  then restart

	if cpu usage is greater than 60 percent for 2 cycles then alert
	if cpu usage > 90% for 5 cycles then restart
        if totalmem usage > 40% for 5 cycles then restart
	if 3 restarts within 4 cycles then timeout
"

and restart monit. Unfortunately monit does not yet support RADIUS protocol
checks.