Checkrad / Simultaneous-Use clarification please

Craig Campbell craig at ccraft.ca
Thu Sep 10 13:08:56 CEST 2009

From: "Alan DeKok" <aland at deployingradius.com>
>"If you want to check the stripped user name... then use it."

How can I control this?  I am assuming you are referring to proxy.con realm
configuration?

"Why you ask?"

The 'powers that be' have declared that the same userid may log in via
multiple realms (access technologies) up to a certain connection limit.
So user at realm1 and user at realm2 count as 2 connections for user.  In their
original form, radius would view them as two distinct userids.

I need the form 'user at realm' for authentication right after the
simultaneous-use check.

How, specifically, can I get the Simultaneous-Use function to use the
Stripped-User-Name (proxy.conf)? and yet use the original User-Name for the
remainder of the processing?  (I have seen references to variable in some
cases having a form of %{prefix:User-Name} but am unclear of how/where  that
can/should be used.

I have searched the internet, the docs available, and some of the source
code in attempting to understand freeradius, only posting questions when I
am truly puzzled.  Indications of "how" to do (or NOT do) something are most
appreciated.  This is a significant upgrade effort, and I'm ok with
re-designing how things are achieved, if I can determine WHAT the 'best way'
should be.  I have NO control over the rules that apply to users and
accounts in the real world.  (I especially love when they CONTRADICT! -
Marketing...)

Thanks,
-craig