Juniper Acct-Session-Id is too large

Craig Campbell craig at ccraft.ca
Fri Sep 11 13:08:59 CEST 2009

I am hoping someone has encountered this before and might have suggestions
how to work around.

The access device in use is from a company called Juniper.
I am using freeradius 2.1.6 (can upgrade to 2.1.7 if there is any
advantage).

Their Acct-Session-Id numbers are too large for the radutmp field.
Acct-Session-Id=315138101 becomes Acct-Session-Id = "15138101" (the code
automatically chops off the excess on the right apparently)

This becomes a problem when trying to use the Simultaneous-Use
functionality.  Once a duplicate is suspected, and radcheck determines it is
no longer
active, it appears an accounting Stop is generated internally, with the
s(truncated) ession id extracted from radutmp.  ([sanenasport]   expand:
%{Acct-Session-Id} -> 15138101).  I assume this stop is intended to
eventually remove the 'stale' entry from radutmp?  (There is a custom
acctstop script that appears to hang - so I am not certian.)

Has anyone come up with an eloquent solution for Acct-Session-Ids that are
too large for radutmp?

Has anyone come up with an alternate way of achieving the same result?

Thanks,
-craig

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4415 (20090910) __________

http://www.eset.com