First steps towards RadSec support

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Sep 19 08:25:33 CEST 2009

Alexander Clouter wrote:
> To me, the proxying of requests, especially EAP, made with FreeRADIUS
> fits in perfectly with SCTP built in multiplexing....of course it would
> run against the grain probably with all the UDP session handling
> malarkey in there already.

  The issue is RADIUS session handling, not UDP session handling.
RADIUS can only have 256 packets between any (src ip/port,  dst ip/port)
key.  This is the same for TCP.

  Since SCTP adds the concept of "connections", where an end host may
have multiple addresses, this actually makes things *worse* for RADIUS,
because of the 256 packet limit.

> Of course, someone needs to produce patches...RFCs...and so on.  As that
> person is not me...I'll leave that along side with all my other
> ponderings...like why the IEEE decided that not using Token Ring-esque
> stuff for wifi was a Good Idea(tm)[1] :-/

  All of the SCTP docs I've read say that converting a TCP application
to SCTP is about as simple as replacing TCP with SCTP in the source code.

  Since FR now has TCP transport... SCTP might not be that difficult.