Windows Server 2008 R2 (was already working...)

mr typo euroregistrar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 12:45:28 CEST 2010

hey all,

we do have a freeradius server authenticating with ntml_auth against a win
2008r2 server. this was working for several months but for 2 weeks now the
authentication does not work anymore.
authenticating on the command line with ntlm_auth is still working:

[root at wlan ~]# ntlm_auth --request-nt-key --username=xxx
password:
NT_STATUS_OK: Success (0x0)

but when authenticating with the radius server i am getting this in the
debug log. (we have no idea why this is happening.. the radius config was
not changed for several months.. we got an
automatically installed win2008r2 server update (i know bad idea). the
domain is running the ad 2008 r2 schema.)

++[eap] returns updated
Found Auth-Type = EAP
+- entering group authenticate {...}
[eap] Request found, released from the list
[eap] EAP/mschapv2
[eap] processing type mschapv2
[mschapv2] +- entering group MS-CHAP {...}
[mschap] No Cleartext-Password configured.  Cannot create LM-Password.
[mschap] No Cleartext-Password configured.  Cannot create NT-Password.
[mschap] Told to do MS-CHAPv2 for asartori at fh-salzburg.ac.at with
NT-Password
[mschap] FAILED: No NT/LM-Password.  Cannot perform authentication.
[mschap] FAILED: MS-CHAP2-Response is incorrect
++[mschap] returns reject
[eap] Freeing handler
++[eap] returns reject
Failed to authenticate the user.