cannot get core dump of crashing freeradius

Jakob Hirsch jh at plonk.de
Mon Apr 19 16:19:23 CEST 2010

Alan DeKok, 2010-04-16 12:05:

>   Often 'root' can't core dump, and programs that change uid can't core
> dump.  It's hard to know what's going on with the OS.

ok, I digged deeper into this and made some tests:

- no core dump with kill -11
- /proc/sys/fs/suid_dumpable is 0, set it to 1 and restart FR
- kill -11 -> core dump, yeah!

So it's probably a problem with the uid change disabling the process'
dumpability (I found nothing in /proc/[pid]/* where I can see this.

So we have now all machines running with /proc/sys/fs/suid_dumpable set
to 1.

Strange thing is, this should not be neccessary with the
prctl(PR_SET_DUMPABLE, 1) in mainconfig.c:698.

Anyway, I'm now looking forward for FR to crash :)

>> Any hints?
>   doc/bugs.  You'll need symbols to find out what's going on.

I know, and I have them (in the -dbg package), but they are useless
without a core dump :)

Maybe the info about /proc/sys/fs/suid_dumpable should be added to
doc/bugs...

Thanks for your input!

Regards,