Centos Yum Packages

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Apr 19 17:41:28 CEST 2010

On 04/19/2010 11:28 AM, John Dennis wrote:
> The simple answer is that you shouldn't expect FreeRADIUS to be rebased
> in RHEL, however if there are enough customer issues with FreeRADIUS
> 2.1.7 it can be brought up for consideration.

I do want to clarify the above. The general procedure in RHEL is when a
*customer* reports a bug in a package we check upstream and see if they
have a fix, if so we "backport" the fix into the existing version in
RHEL. If upstream does not have a fix we develop a fix and give it to
upstream.

In either case the net result is a "surgical" fix insertion into the
existing package version in RHEL, not a version upgrade, the version
stays the same (with a bumped release number). Thus during the
life-cylce of a RHEL major release a number of packages will have had
surgical fixes (patches) applied to them based on customer needs. The
idea here is that a surgical fix is less likely to break things than
importing an entirely never version of the package without control over
the changes.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?