Users file or mysql database; radpostauth table

David Seira davidseira at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 09:31:16 CEST 2010

Hi all!

I'm trying to implement a freeradius server and I have several questions.
The freeradius version used is 2.1.8.

 First of all, I want to put a freeradius to manage a net with about 400~500
users. I don't know which method for manage users choose; users file or
mysql database?

I think manage users with a file is faster but the management is worse and
mysql database is easily management but I think is slower than other.

What do you think about? Which is the best option?

Another question is referent a freeradius + mysql. I do a test and save the
users passwords with SHA1 in the radcheck table. Then I activated the
radpostauth logging table. The problem is in this table (when a user is
logged in) the pass is stored in plain-text, without encryption. Is possible
to store the pass encrypted with SHA1 in radpostauth table?

Thanks for all.

Regards,
David Seira