Dynamic VLAN with AD/LDAP - Best Practice / preferred option?

Gary Gatten Ggatten at waddell.com
Tue Apr 27 01:50:55 CEST 2010

Hello all,

I currently have FR v2.1.6 (Yes, I'll upgrade...) running on RHEL5.  I'm authenticating VPN users and Ci$co device shell access using SAMBA/ntlm_auth integration.  "Everything" is working fine.

My next task is assigning Dynamic VLAN ID's.  I have some test accounts/ports working using the "users" file, but I'm ready to take the next step to deploy DVLANs company wide, and want to assign the ID based on an AD/LDAP attribute.

I prefer not to extend the schema and ideally would be able to assign the VLAN ID based on a "Group" attribute - so I don't have to go back and populate some attribute for a couple thousand users.

Anyway, there are numerous posts about this issue / similar issues.  I'm wondering if there is a "Best Practice" method or "Preferred" method to accomplish this?  A method known to work better than another or works as well as anything but is "easy" to implement, etc.  Or, is this one of those things where there is a dozen right answers and I just need to pick one and do it?

Any thoughts appreciated!

TIA!

Gary