Is this Install Guide Complete?

Josip Rodin joy at entuzijast.net
Thu Apr 29 12:52:36 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 07:55:25AM +0200, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Huckle Berry wrote:
> > I have a server that is running a relatively clean install of Ubuntu
> > 9.10 Server. Due to the known licensing issue restrictions I cannot
> > simply use the debian freeradius package.
>
>   This was fixed in 2.1.8.
>
> > I would like to know if the
> > following outline would install freeradius with support for SSL on my
> > server. Comments from those who actually run freeradius on Ubuntu 9.10
> > server would be appreciated.
>
> http://wiki.freeradius.org/Build
>
>   Has instructions for building on debian && ubuntu.
>
>   I've updated the Wiki to reflect this.

When someone searches e.g. http://www.google.com/search?q=freeradius+debian
the first result is building from source.

I think you really need to put a link to
http://packages.debian.org/freeradius right at the top of that section.

The text currently there says that building packages with dpkg-buildpackage
is "best", but it's actually now second best to installing working packages
from the official repositories.

Also, http://wiki.freeradius.org/Binary_packages is obsolete, but has
some content still, probably confusing to the users. It would be good for
this page to have an explicit pointer to http://freeradius.org/download.html
where there is a section Binary packages (maybe make a HTML anchor too).

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.