Is this Install Guide Complete?

Josip Rodin joy at entuzijast.net
Thu Apr 29 21:42:32 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 02:07:50PM -0400, Huckle Berry wrote:

> > >   This was fixed in 2.1.8.
>
>  As of this morning, the latest version of freeradius in the (karmic 9.10)
> repos is 2.1.0. Although 2.1.8 is availible as a lenny backport for debian,
> I get the feeling that your suggestion is to stick with distribution
> packages whenever possible. Supposing I wanted to use the debian package to
> install 2.1.8 onto my ubuntu system [...]

You shouldn't have to recompile anything in order to use Debian's lenny
packages on Ubuntu's karmic - the latter is just a bit newer base, but there
should be no differences so critical that you couldn't share packages that
are relatively standalone, such as FreeRADIUS packages. You probably can't
share something major like glibc, or something huge like gnome, but FR
should be relatively fine.

Try adding a Debian lenny-backports repository to your sources.list,
for example:

	deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main

Then update the package list (apt-get update) and then just try installing
the main FreeRADIUS package from there, for example with:

	apt-get install -t lenny-backports freeradius

If it errors out or tries to add more than a dozen packages, especially
something that doesn't seem related to FR, abort and paste the output here
for examination.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.