Libtool / autoconf is evil

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Apr 30 14:15:18 CEST 2010

I've got to agree libtool is evil, it causes more breakage than anything
it purports to fix. Autoconf is a great idea, but a horrible
implementation because of it's insane complexity and utterly unreadable
machine generated code. It's wonderful when it works, but pure hell when
it doesn't. I've found myself in autotool hell more often than I would
care to remember.

However, at the moment I don't know what a viable alternative to
autoconf would be. I suppose if you believe you won't ever need per OS
configuration it's not necessary, but are we at that point of compatibility?

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/