Is this Install Guide Complete?

Josip Rodin joy at entuzijast.net
Fri Apr 30 21:33:01 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 02:21:47PM -0400, Huckle Berry wrote:
> I replaced the apt source, ran apt-get update and let it rip. It updated the
> following:
>
>   freeradius-common freeradius-utils libdb4.5 libfreeradius2 libltdl-dev
>   libltdl7 libncursesw5 libperl-dev libperl5.10 libsqlite3-0 libssl-dev
>   libssl0.9.8 perl perl-base perl-modules python2.5 python2.5-minimal
>   freeradius-ldap freeradius-postgresql freeradius-mysql freeradius-krb5
>   libtool-doc perl-doc libterm-readline-gnu-perl libterm-readline-perl-perl
>   python2.5-doc python-profiler binfmt-support
>   freeradius freeradius-common freeradius-utils libdb4.5 libfreeradius2
>   python2.5 python2.5-minimal
>   libltdl-dev libltdl7 libncursesw5 libperl-dev libperl5.10 libsqlite3-0
>   libssl-dev libssl0.9.8 perl perl-base perl-modules
>
> installation worked like a charm,

Ah, but you got too much. Now you have Perl, Python, the SSL library and all
those other things with a newer version than those in karmic. That is all
right now, but it means that if e.g. a security update comes out for the
versions in karmic, you won't get it automatically because the version of
the package you have is higher than that of the update. I advised you to
avoid this situation... but now that you've already done it, it would be a
good idea to restore the squeeze sources.list line at least as a comment and
occasionally uncomment it and apt-get install the above package list - which
will pick up any upgrades - and the comment it back. A switch to newer
Ubuntu (lucid) could get all those packages to an upgradable situation, too.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.