Duplicate home server

Cody Ritts cr at caltel.com
Tue Aug 3 22:27:12 CEST 2010

Hello all,

I am running FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.8 (built from freebsd ports)

I feel like I am missing something blatantly obvious, but just cannot
seem to figure it out. Maybe I am just not understanding the documentation.

I am setting up a new server with a realm to direct some of it's
requests to two existing radius servers (redundant).

This is what I think is the relevant part of my proxy.conf:

    home_server radius1 {
         type = auth+acct
         ipaddr = xx.xx.144.5
         port = 1645
         secret = testing123
    }
    home_server radius2 {
         type = auth+acct
         ipaddr = xx.xx.145.5
         port = 1645
         secret = testing123
    }
    home_server_pool my_server_pool {
         type = fail-over
         home_server = radius1
         home_server = radius2
    }
    realm mydomain.com {
         pool = my_server_pool
    }

But when I start the server, 'radiusd -X' dies reporting:
    /usr/local/etc/raddb/proxy.conf[744]: Duplicate home server

( Line 144 refers to this line "home_server radius2 {" )

As soon as I remove one of the "home_server = radius2" lines from the
pool, the server will start fine.  Also if I change the ports on my
home_server configs, the server will start.

Is this not the correct way to setup redundant realm proxying?

Thank you in advance,

Cody