Of accounting data and security

Michael Lecuyer mjl at iterpacis.org
Mon Aug 9 04:01:24 CEST 2010

TACACS+ uses an MD5 pad based on the session ID, shared secret, TACACS+
version, and packet sequence number. This is XOR'd over the packet.  The
pad is in multiples of the MD5 hash length.

The header is sent plain text and includes the sequence number, the
session ID and version number.

Encoding and decoding are symmetrical. It is not considered strong encoding.

We're all fortunate RADIUS doesn't use this to encode packets.