radius cant contact ldap server

Aqdas Muneer aqdas.muneer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 15:33:14 CEST 2010

hello everyone,

I have asked this question before but didn't get any suggestions, so please
try to help me if you can. We recently had a event during which our radius
server lost connectivity to our Active Directory server. all the network
gear could contact radius so none fell back to the backup authentication
method (local), but because AD was down we couldn't get into our devices. is
there a way to use some locally stored password in free radius if the ldap
server cant be reached? below is my user file config. i have an admin
account that i would like to use if ldap is down, but don't want users to be
able to use it when ldap is accessible. i'm running FreeRadius version
2.1.7.

admin           Huntgroup-Name == "network-admin", Cleartext-Password :=
"xxxxxxxxx"
                Service-Type := NAS-Prompt-User,
                cisco-avpair := "shell:priv-lvl=15"

DEFAULT         Huntgroup-Name == "network-admin", Ldap-Group ==
"networkadmins"
                Service-Type := NAS-Prompt-User,
                cisco-avpair := "shell:priv-lvl=15",
                Auth-Type := LDAP