Logging for Assets and Customers

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Wed Aug 18 08:57:09 CEST 2010

  Hi,

first, there is no such thing as "requesting that information" - a
RADIUS client sends a request, and it sends attributes as configured on
the client. There is no previous negotiation phase where the server
would tell "give me this piece of info".

However, there is some opportunity to harvest info from incoming
requests. You can do, for example:

client foo {
     asset_type = expensive-service

client bar {
     asset_type = dirtcheap-service

client baz
     asset_type = dirtcheap-service

and then modify the SQL queries to log %{client:asset_type} . On
run-time, the content of this variable will expand to either
expensive-service or dirtcheap-service, depending from which client IP
address the request came in. Re MAC-Address: this is in the attribute
Calling-Station-Id (*iff* the client sends that attribute).

You're up for a bit more trouble if you have multiple different services
coming in from the same IP address. In this case your fate relies on the
abilitiy to instruct the respective RADIUS client software to include
some identification. But that's really up to the client then.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--
Stefan WINTER