windows7 machine authentication

alois blasbichler alois.blasbichler at sb-brixen.it
Tue Aug 24 16:19:58 CEST 2010

Hello list

We use freeradius with opendlap and machine-authentification
(samba-pcs) for years with success.
Windows xp and vista  clients works fine.
Now i wanted to authenticate a Windows 7 laptop and i get the
following errors :

[suffix] No such realm "NULL"
++[suffix] returns noop
[eap] EAP packet type response id 12 length 19
[eap] No EAP Start, assuming it's an on-going EAP conversation
++[eap] returns updated
++[unix] returns notfound
++[files] returns noop

and then

[eap] Request found, released from the list
[eap] EAP/peap
[eap] processing type peap
[peap] processing EAP-TLS
   TLS Length 7
[peap] Length Included
[peap] eaptls_verify returned 11
[peap] <<< TLS 1.0 Alert [length 0002], fatal unknown_ca
TLS Alert read:fatal:unknown CA
     TLS_accept:failed in SSLv3 read client certificate A
rlm_eap: SSL error error:14094418:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:tlsv1
alert unknown ca
SSL: SSL_read failed inside of TLS (-1), TLS session fails.
TLS receive handshake failed during operation
[peap] eaptls_process returned 4

I dont use certificates neither on the server and neither  on the client side.
I read in teh internet that also windows7 should work without
certificates - is that true ?

Wath can bee the problem ?
Do you need more debug-output ?

Thank you and by