windows7 machine authentication

Sallee, Stephen (Jake) Jake.Sallee at umhb.edu
Tue Aug 24 16:48:39 CEST 2010

> I dont use certificates neither on the server and neither  on the
client side.
> I read in teh internet that also windows7 should work without
certificates - is that true ?

Strictly speaking this is actually true, However! You need to understand
what is happening:

1) Win7 will not connect to a wireless network that is secured with a
certificate enabled protocol without some prior configuration, period.
	This means that is you set up an AP using 802.1x with FreeRADIUS
(or any server) as your AAA server your windows 7 (and Vista AFAIK) WILL
NOT
	Authenticate successfully unless you specifically configure the
client to do so.  Gone are the days of click through protected WiFi
setups in Windows.
	I have purchased a cert from thawte hoping that my clients will
trust it and allow the connection without manually touching each machine
but alas, no.

2) once correctly configured (depending on the auth protocol you are
using) the  client will accept the server's cert (the reason the auth is
failing now) and
	send back its own cert for the server to inspect (if needed by
the protocol).

So, you ARE using certs. Did you install them, no.  Is that a problem,
yes.  When working with certs you should ALWAYS know them inside and
out, they are your
	digital identity, and they do incur some legal implications.

If you need assistance configuring the windows clients to accept the
cert the server is sending, meet me on the IRC channel.  That is really
not a discussion for the list. ; )

Jake Sallee
Godfather Of Bandwidth
Network Engineer