Compiling with newest OpenSSL

David Mitchell mitchell at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 25 16:09:25 CEST 2010

Alan DeKok wrote:
> David Mitchell wrote:
>> I'm hitting some snags trying to compile from source with the newest
>> OpenSSL. I have compiled Openssl 1.0.0a and installed in /usr/local/ssl
>> (the default location). With FreeRadius 2.1.9 configure fails to detect
>> with errors which look like something which is possibly a problem with
>> my OpenSSL install. Ultimately, configure finds OpenSSL OK with the git
>> version but the resulting compile fails for reasons unrelated to
>> OpenSSL.
>
>   Which "git" version are you using?  Which branch?
>
>> I'm not sure the best way to proceed. FR 2.1.9 doesn't seem to
>> like OpenSSL 1.0.0a, but the current git version seems to have a bug
>> which is stopping the build. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
>
> $ LIBS="-ldl" ./configure ...
>
>   That should address the "cannot find dlopen" issues.
>
>   It's a little annoying that the crypto libraries require dlopen().
>
>> I'm OK with running the git version as this is only for use on a test
>> server right now. But my compile ultimately fails with:

>> /home/mitchell/src/newest/freeradius-server/src/freeradius-devel/radiusd.h:107,
>>                  from rlm_acctlog.c:28:
>> /home/mitchell/src/newest/freeradius-server/src/freeradius-devel/smodule.h:144:
>> error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘RADCLIENT’
>
>   Ah... you're using the git "master" branch.  Don't do that.
>
>   Read http://git.freeradius.org and follow the instructions for the
> "v2.1.x" branch.  That page also explains why you SHOULDN'T use the
> "master" branch.

I misread that page thinking that v2.1.x would just give me 2.1.9 and
that master would be 2.1.10. Either way, I was able to get v2.1.x (aka
2.1.10) to configure openssl using the LIBS="-ldl" addition. I'm not
sure what's changed in the "master" that configure seems to figure that
out on it's own, but it might be nice to add to 2.1.10 if it's not too
much work.

Now I'm hitting the undefined reference to
`lt__PROGRAM__LTX_preloaded_symbols' problem. I think I've moved past
that by just adding
#define lt__PROGRAM__LTX_preloaded_symbols lt_libltdl_LTX_preloaded_symbols
to modules.c. It occurs to me. Is that libtool expecting a macro to be
defined for _PROGRAM_ and thats why it's defining a symbol which doesn't
actually exist? I'm just sort of thinking out loud based on your notes here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/freeradius/+bug/421005

Anyway, I've got it built. I need some coffee before I install and try
to run it though. Thanks for the help,

-David