wifi ip allocation

Alexandre Chapellon alexandre.chapellon at mana.pf
Wed Dec 1 19:01:43 CET 2010

Le mardi 30 novembre 2010 à 21:01 +0100, Alan DeKok a écrit :

> Alexandre Chapellon wrote:
> > Hi every body,
> > While all the documentation on the web seems to answer *NO*, and because
> > I feel like i need to talk to someone today, I was wondering if there is
> > any way to allocate IP address to wifi user using radius Attributes
> > instead of DHCP?
>
>   Nope.  The only way this would work is if the AP cached the
> Framed-IP-Address from the Access-Accept, and then grabbed the DHCP
> packet, and put the Framed-IP-Address in it as a DHCP response.
>
> > Or maybe I should ask... How can i allocate IP address from differents
> > Pools based on login (final goal would be to have transparent squid
> > treat user differently )?
>
>   Run FreeRADIUS as a DHCP server. :)  It works, and you can put session
> information from RADIUS into an SQL DB, and then query that data when it
> receives a DHCP packet.

Am not sure to understand... Once the wifi user entered the network
(level2: no IP yet), I have an entry for its sessions in my accouting
database, with username, sessionID, maybe mac_address and so on...
But when the user sends a DHCP request to obtain IP address (gain level3
access), that request may not contain any reference to the username, but
to the mac address... that's it?

So the trick would be to get the username from the mac address querying
the accouting database?
And then?  Can I use any ippool module in the freeradius DHCP server? or
Do I have to use static mapping mac2ip?

Hope I am clear enough, Thks

--
Follow us on: twitter https://www.twitter.com/manainternet