query

karnik jain karnik.jain at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 16:04:28 CET 2010

Hello,

Thank you so much for spending valuable time of yours for the reply.

 As per my understanding of RFC 2865,

 It is clearly written in *section 5.0 of RFC 2865* that,
*“text      1-253 octets containing UTF-8 encoded 10646 [7] characters. Text
of length zero (0) MUST NOT be sent; omit the entire attribute instead.” *

So, It has to be converted into UTF-8 as per RFC 3629 - UTF-8, a
transformation format of ISO 10646 at the time of sending  ACCESS REQUEST
packet to RADIUS server by NAS and same it has to be decoded by NAS when it
is being received from server  in ACCESS ACCEPT packet.

If it would be compatible to each other than What is the need of including
above statement in RFC-2865 clearly,
correct me If my understanding is wrong?

Sir,
I am totally confused by your statement that *“there is no need of
conversion as it is compatible*”.
I have searched a lot regarding this thing and I am not able to find any
such thing as said by you.
I am also able to find one open source library named *iconv* which can does
this encoding and decoding task.

**
*Can you please tell me that,*
*From where I can find the information regarding US-ASCII & UTF-8
compatibleness as per your reply or any RFC number if it is known to you? *
**

Looking forward to your positive reply at your earliest,
- Karnik Jain