Problems with freeradius accounting proxy

Fajar A. Nugraha fajar at fajar.net
Tue Feb 16 09:49:03 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Phil Pierotti <phil.pierotti at gmail.com> wrote:
>> about actual accounting request, do they get a timely response? It is
>
> It could easily be that the downstream server is lagging in responsiveness ,
> given that it's a db backend.
> Best-case is snappy, worst-case is abysmal is not at all surprising with a
> db.
>
> But the question is how long before "timely" runs out? One second, ten
> seconds, half-a-second?

try /etc/raddb/proxy.conf

        #
        #  If the home server doesn't respond to the request within
        #  this time, this server will consider the request dead, and
        #  respond to the NAS with an Access-Reject.
        #
        #  If NO responses are received to any requests sent within this
        #  time period, the home server will be marked "zombie", as below.
        #
        #  Useful range of values: 5 to 60
        response_window = 20

> Where (other than reading every single line of a debug log for an entire
> day) can I find how happy (or not) freeradius is about a server it is
> proxying to? This is a live radius proxy for a small ISP, not just a console
> auth-server, so we're seeing anything up to ten requests per second - not
> lots-n-lots, but also not practical to eyeball the entire thing in realtime.
> Spot-checks are fine, but if nothing broke while you were checking then it's
> "tree falls in a forest" time.

Do you enable logging? /var/log/radius/radius.log is a good place to start.

--
Fajar