How long it take to auth in 802.1X/WPA-enterprise?

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Feb 18 11:02:22 CET 2010

Hi,
> How long it take to auth in 802.1X/WPA-enterprise?

depends on the system and what methods etc...but easily under 1 second here

> In this simple network model, I have tried to auth using
> EAP-TLS(self-certification) and it works good.
> By the way, about 18 seconds are taken to auth as follow debug logs.
> (confer the timestamp (1) and (2))

wheres the real authentication - ie Access-Accept return packet?

do you have vmware tools on your ubuntu VMware hosted system - and therefore
using vmxnet driver instead of the slow pcnet32 ?  (lsmod | grep vmx)

turn off any non-needed modules - eg are you ever going to use /etc/passwd
for user accounts? if not, comment out the unix module whenever it appears..
likewise files, expiration, logintime etc..... make sure you are not going to
be needign them though!

..also...

> Wed Feb 17 21:37:00 2010 : Info: [suffix] Looking up realm
> "xxxx.yyy.zz.vv" for User-Name = "kkk at xxxx.yyy.zz.vv"
> Wed Feb 17 21:37:00 2010 : Info: [suffix] No such realm "xxxx.yyy.zz.vv"

are you deliberately not dealing with this realm? are you expecting it to be sent
elsewhere?

alan