Managing the RADIUS database

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed Jan 6 18:52:03 CET 2010

Alan DeKok wrote:
> Steve Bertrand wrote:

>> The radacct table in the RADIUS database grows at an enormously fast
>> rate. Regardless of server resources, trying to search or perform
>> actions on this table can be a daunting task.
>
>   Yup.  In some cases, people are required to keep this data for months.

I have all radacct information back to 1999 readily available, and data
before that archived. It wasn't until ~2003 or so that I changed to
using SQL. It didn't take long to realize that the SQL server became
useless after only a few months.

>> I'm looking for data (preferably dumped from mysqladmin, or entire
>> tables), that I can throw at this software so I'm not continuously
>> working with my own data. Raw data is preferable, but I can work with
>> sanitized data. I'm also willing to work with an NDA for testing, and
>> will even guarantee that data will be tested in a non-connected
>> environment if specified.
>
>   See "radperf" (http://networkradius.com).  It can generate fake login
> traffic, including accounting packets.  It's a good tool for automated
> testing.

Nice!

>   Or, if you think this is useful to a wider community, we can host it
> on freeradius.org, and integrate it with the main releases.

After thinking about it, this situation may be best.

Considering that the project objective and purpose is designed around
FreeRADIUS and it's SQL database, and really doesn't have much use
elsewhere.

>   Leverage the FreeRADIUS name. :)

Net::FreeRADIUS::Management ?

Steve