Managing the RADIUS database

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Wed Jan 6 19:31:26 CET 2010

Steve Bertrand <steve at ibctech.ca> wrote:

>>> The radacct table in the RADIUS database grows at an enormously fast
>>> rate. Regardless of server resources, trying to search or perform
>>> actions on this table can be a daunting task.
>>
>>   Yup.  In some cases, people are required to keep this data for months.
>
> I have all radacct information back to 1999 readily available, and data
> before that archived. It wasn't until ~2003 or so that I changed to
> using SQL. It didn't take long to realize that the SQL server became
> useless after only a few months.

I guess I am a 'small cheese' with only 2m rows in my authentication
table?  I am using PgSQL and have btree'd my timestamp columns, but it
still takes only 3.6s to pull 10k rows worth of just todays data.

I thought the point of index'ing your columns (sensibly) meant that the
size of the table was not meant to really be too much of a killer?

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Cure the disease and kill the patient.