Managing the RADIUS database

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Jan 6 20:43:44 CET 2010

Hi,

> I guess I am a 'small cheese' with only 2m rows in my authentication
> table?  I am using PgSQL and have btree'd my timestamp columns, but it
> still takes only 3.6s to pull 10k rows worth of just todays data.

ah..you have the immediate advantage of postgreSQL

> I thought the point of index'ing your columns (sensibly) meant that the
> size of the table was not meant to really be too much of a killer?

aye - but you also need a DB system that doesnt lock everything
just because you looked at it (quick, take a peek while its not looking! ;))

it didnt take too long for me to suffer with MySQL as supplied so
often by default - then i researched and moved to eg InnoDB engine...then
I learnt about choosing indexes carefully - and how too many can kill you too.
...that came alongside the 'explain' command.   then i moved to postgres - with
that powering the system theres far less to wory about (espcially later versions
that dont need a monthly VACUUM  8-)

alan