Major noob question about freeradius

Bryan Boone bryan-boone at msn.com
Mon Jan 18 19:51:28 CET 2010

Hi everyone maybe you can help me.

I have a small network of about 10 windows XP machines.  I need to set these machines up so that my users can log into any of these machines.

For me the simplest solution to solve this would be a windows 2003 server domain controller.  Unfortunately due to some corporate restrictions I cannot install a windows server.

I was told that a Radius server could accomplish the same thing for me.  Is this true?

Basically I just need a way for my users to sit down at any of the windows XP workstations and log into it.  I don't need anything special like "roaming profiles" and such.

All I need is for a way for a windows user to sit down at any computer and type in a user name and password in order to gain access to use the computer.  I saw the tutorials online but I don't think this is what I need.  Something about setting up a VPN and adding certs and such.  I need freeRadius to control access to user the computer not to gain access to a network resource.

I have installed freeRadius and got it up and running on openSUSE but I am not really sure how to configure it according to what I need (if it can be done at all).

Am I making sense or am I way off base?

Does someone have a document I can follow that will tell me how to configure freeradius so that my windows users can authenticate against it?

thanks