How to strip REALM but insert it from a username at MAC onto an MySQL DB

Lucio Godoy luciocfgodoy at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 22 15:28:50 CET 2010

Hi All;

I have been running a FreeRADIUS Server Version 2.1.6 setup to work with MySQL 5 to authenticate VPN Dial-up users with no problems at all.

My next step is to try to log the users realms, which is their MAC addresses, the authentication today is CHAP with a combination of username + password check on the mysql db.

I would like to continue with the same authentication method by when the user is authenticating they will include their MAC address as such:

username @ MAC_ADDRESS

Freeradius is to strip the MAC_ADDRESS, then insert onto the field "Realm" on the table "radacct" and then authenticate the user normally via the username+password combination.

I have researched and have not found a way to implement this.

Have any of you got any ideas how to implement this pls?

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks

Lucio

PS: Have not included any conf files as my FR is pretty much out of the box setup, but will happily do so.