Who Talks to Who?

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Jul 5 19:34:09 CEST 2010

Hi,

> I’m new to FreeRADIUS and I still don’t have a good sense of who talks to who.  I’ve attached a small PDF-format diagram of what I’m trying to accomplish and my IDEA of who talks to who.  Any links or feedback would be appreciated…

clients (eg users laptops) talk to NAS (eg wifi access point), which talk to
RADIUS server, which then uses eg SQL, LDAP, AD or a flat file locally to authenticate.

a client doesnt talk directly to the RADIUS server  (dont forget, in eg 802.1X
environment, the client isnt even on the network...its using eg EAPOL to talk
over a L2 link to the access point).

alan